From the Collection: Rush Co., Indiana

Washington Township, Rush County, Indiana

This image has a pencil-written description on the back of the card-stock envelope the image is mounted to (with an oval matt mounted on top). Unfortunately, the name has worn away. I think I see "Mrs. X. X. Scott" (where X is an initial I can't read). Then: "Rte. 6 Falmouth, Ind. Washington Twp Sec 36". This is a town so small, it was never even a town. I wonder if the address was so the image would get back to her!

This image is very indistinct, technically. It was made by a competent professional portrait photographer, but not one who had his own mount cards embossed. I would give it a time range between 1880-1920 based on that. Her dress looks pre-1900 to me, but fashion isn't my area of expertise.


It also has an "O. B." written on it. Wonder what that means? Is it a postal note, or the photographer's initials?
What do you think?

Comments